Information: The new forums are now open: http://boards.jedivsith.com. We've disabled all posting here on the old forum, but you can view everything.

The Feedback thread!

A forum intended for use in determining the recipients of "The Sithies."

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/BLUE.png[/img]

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:19 pm

The Feedback thread!

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: The Feedback thread!

Allow me to start:

[quote="Dark Lord Villa":14xlszhk]For me, a mixed bag.
Positives:

[list:14xlszhk][*:14xlszhk]The number of people involved in nominating was vastly increased. [/*:m:14xlszhk]
[*:14xlszhk]The new nominating system ran smoothly (in terms of it working)[/*:m:14xlszhk]
[*:14xlszhk]The admin staff did a sterling job[/*:m:14xlszhk]
[*:14xlszhk]Considering the time frames we worked to, it all worked quite well[/*:m:14xlszhk]
[*:14xlszhk]I thought getting people to submit posts to be judged on themselves was an improvement. [/*:m:14xlszhk][/list:u:14xlszhk]

Negatives:
[list:14xlszhk][*:14xlszhk]The sheer amount of nemoidian over the nominating system[/*:m:14xlszhk]
[*:14xlszhk]The issue of having ties (increasing the number of nominees from 5 to 8 etc)[/*:m:14xlszhk]
[*:14xlszhk]The rather lacklustre ceremony attendance (this was particularly disappointing considering improved participation was a goal of mine - which I achieved on my part)[/*:m:14xlszhk]
[*:14xlszhk]I felt the presenters seemed to come from a common pool rather than branching out to find other people not normally involved. PMing such people would've worked, people never volunteer. [/*:m:14xlszhk][/list:u:14xlszhk]

Otherwise though it was a decent year regardless of what the naysayers might think/say.[/quote:14xlszhk]

Player's Guild
Player's Guild

Affiliation:

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:32 pm

I'd like to see some of the previous categories brought back, like Best Droid or other various character types. I'd also like to see a category for Most Annoying Character (strictly IC).

Other then that, I liked this last years Sithies. I thought the forum and topic setup was very organized.

Affiliation:

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:03 pm

I'd like funner, more uique categories...

Best Alien RPer
Best conflict
Best Dark Jedi
Best Grey Jedi
Best Government
Best Faction

Idk stuff like that that is more unique and specific

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/PURPLE.png[/img]

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:33 pm

[quote="Gabriel Solomon":t21vmz1i]I'd like funner, more uique categories...

Best Alien RPer
Best conflict
Best Dark Jedi
Best Grey Jedi
Best Government
Best Faction

Idk stuff like that that is more unique and specific[/quote:t21vmz1i]

What aliens? Most RPers are human here.
(yes i know there is a percentage that play aliens, but they are not numerous as PCs)

Player's Guild
Player's Guild

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:06 am

[quote="Gabriel Solomon":1cl0y00q]Best conflict
Best Dark Jedi
Best Grey Jedi[/quote:1cl0y00q]

Dark Jedi was included in Darksider and Grey Jedi was included in Lightsider as they fall into those catagories. And there was a best conflict catagory this year (Clan Vhett vs Death Watch won it) so... yeah.

Affiliation:

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:18 pm

I didn;t even know about the Mandos fighting themselves so excuse my ignorance.

Dark Jedi and Sith are different. Jedi and Grey Jedi are different all 4 of their styles are unique and special. In fact RPing a true Dark Jedi or Grey Jedi is perhaps one of the hardest things to do especially when everyone throughs in their two cents about what it is to be dark or grey.

Best alien would not be too hard. Say a Miraluka won the award. He/she would be graded on how best he/she follows the culture. The Miralukans considered each other family and were very protective of their kin. They also were very religious worshipping the deities of Ashla and Bogan, stuff like that which can show how much work a character is poutting into his/her character would give you the winner

Hell throw up best criminal/underworlder, we got a enough smugglers, hutts and Mandalorian mercenaries

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:21 pm

[quote="Gabriel Solomon":1lee5axd]The Miralukans considered each other family and were very protective of their kin. They also were very religious worshipping the deities of Ashla (Sin) and Bogan (Inky)[/quote:1lee5axd]

[color=#FF0000:1lee5axd]Deities are overrated.

Except for Kad Ha'rangir, he kicks choobies.[/color:1lee5axd]

Player's Guild
Player's Guild

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:29 pm

They are different but they still broadly fall into the same catagories and rping a darksider isn't judged on how evil they are or a lightsider on how good, but on how well they represent their character and motivations within their bracket of the force. A dark jedi wouldn't do the same as a Sith, but they would need to show how the darkside motivates them to be darker than a jedi. A grey jedi would fall under lightside as looking at the canon grey example everyone looks to is Qui Gon, a lightsider.

And best alien would be great but then would you have best human too? And then the distintions between near human and human? And how different people interpret their aliens characteristics? But something to think about certainly.

What needs to be taken into consideration is the time that each award takes, this year there were 16 awards which took about three weeks to judge (from the time the nominations were taken through to judging). You can't have too many awards due to the time constraints of judging and the amount you are asking the judges to do, some of those awards take a lot of reading.

Affiliation:

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Which is why it might be best to have bi-annual ceremonies

Affiliation:

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:25 pm

[quote="Gabriel Solomon":1ma7tk8k]Which is why it might be best to have bi-annual ceremonies[/quote:1ma7tk8k]

It took us enough time and effort to get this year's off the ground, so I don't think we'd be able to have 2 Sithies per year. However, I've heard about the other 'awards ceremony' that was being murmured about.. so maybe that's what you were referring to.. [action:1ma7tk8k]shrugs[/action:1ma7tk8k]

Affiliation:

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/RED.png[/img]

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:51 pm

Why not two committees; one for the Sithies and one for the _____ies? (Personally, I vote for "Forcies.")

High Councilor, Player's Guild

Affiliation:

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/ORANGE.png[/img]

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:06 am

Guys, back on topic please, there was an entire thread devoted to a second awards ceremony, however this one is about the improvement of the Sithies. Please keep it there.

I'll have my response type up shortly, though I'll have to echo a lot of what I said in my previous thread.

Affiliation:

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/RED.png[/img]

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:09 am

Is there anyway to stop/limit/negate systematic & group voting within the multi-points system you have now?

That was my only real gripe, pretty well run otherwise.

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:04 pm

[quote="Vale Xsayarsa":3g7mxmps]Is there anyway to stop/limit/negate systematic & group voting within the multi-points system you have now?

That was my only real gripe, pretty well run otherwise.[/quote:3g7mxmps]

Your most productive post in years. Yes, this is an issue which does need some thought. My first inclination was to limit people to voting for a maximum of 2 people within any faction they are a member of, and raising the minimum to 4 nominees - so that if you nominate 2 of your buddies you [u:3g7mxmps]must[/u:3g7mxmps] nominate 2 others not connected to you. How feasible it is I haven't looked into.

As for the multiple ceremonies idea: it was raised, mooted about and then went quiet. I offered to run it but got no real reply. It may be possible to have the more "serious" Sithies, and a ceremony geared towards more lighthearted or less serious awards (name tbc. The Jar Jars?) but when you consider that from beginning the process (sorting out enough decent judges, agreeing to the awards list and nailing down the schedule) to getting all the judging done and presenting the awards you're looking at probably a 4 month timeframe. Doable? Sure, but I'd want a fixed GBA-esque judging panel in place for them to cut down on having to find at least 6 other people willing to read so much.

Affiliation:

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:56 am

As I said in my previous thread, everyone selecting a top five in each category is good, but I didn't like people voting the same people across the board or people having multiple nominations. For example, the top 3 categories are best overall, best male, and best female, correct? For each player's nominations they must choose all different characters for their top 5, that means across those three categories they have 15 different characters. And I would like to see that extended down to the other top five awards as well, meaning if a player nominates a character in one top five category that character cannot be nominated by the same player in another top five category.

I also think that the nominations on the old system should be open for most of the year, or at least longer than the others.

In addition to the top five system (nominees not nominations), I would like to see it altered slightly to a minimum number rather than have it at a top five.

The next bits are things that I said in my sithies thread, some of it repeats because it's from multiple posts.

[quote:oh7nn9em]What I was thinking was using the same point system as this year, not sure what it is but for an example

1=5 points, 2=4, 3=3, and so on. Then having a point value, say 15, everyone who scored 15 or higher in the vote would be in the running for the award.

If they are in the running for more than one then they are considered for the highest of those. Say they're in best darksider, male, and overall they would be considered for overall or even one of their choosing? This is just an idea of course.

They would still be eligible for awards like best fight or epic post, but the character awards they would only be eligible in one category.[/quote:oh7nn9em]
[quote:oh7nn9em]And I agree with the nomination system, just not the overall top 5 "moving on" I think after a certain amount of votes people are deserving to go on and be eligible for the awards.

Example:

Bob got 20 points and moves on
George got 16 points and doesn't

I know what you're thinking, Bob scored higher than George he should move on, but looking back at the votes you see that Bob had a total of 5 votes but George had a total of 12 votes.

This may not have happened, I don't know, I didn't check, but it doesn't seem fair, this would be something that I would want to look at for next year. Or I would have a number that people had to meet/surpass that would give more people an opportunity like 15 points...again that would be for next year.[/quote:oh7nn9em]
[quote:oh7nn9em]I think having a person's top 5 is a good idea, but rules need to be in place for double and even triple voting, if a player votes for someone to be in best overall and best male/female that isn't really a fair way to vote. I think that the rule should be that you can only vote for the same person once in the top 5 categories. Also for the nominees, if they move on in more than one category that they be either left in the most prestigious category and take out of the others or given a choice as to what category they want to be left in, either seems fair to me.

Also an idea that I was also thinking was using the same system as we have now (assuming the 1-5 rankings are pointed 1=5points to 5=1point) but instead of having a top 5 have a certain number of points to beat the cut off, such as 10-15. The reason I say that is because, when I tallied up one of the categories if there had been a minimum point value rather than a top 5 then there would have been anywhere from 3-8 more candidates in the running. Now with the rules that I listed above that would be narrowed down, but the end result would have accomplished several of the goals that people were looking for including more participation, more inclusion, more fairness, and so on.[/quote:oh7nn9em]

I read through that entire thread and there were some ideas to explore, someone mentioned not counting points but votes, which is workable...maybe...but I'm slightly skeptical about it. But I suppose we could talk about the possible ways to work that in.

I like the idea of a constant Sithies staff, that opens the door for a lot of things. Longer nominations/voting, more categories, more organization, and so on.

I would have liked to have seen a better turnout for the ceremony but we can't really control that, though I think we did sort of rush through it this year, correct me if I'm wrong there it's just that last years seemed longer.

The staff did a great job IMO, they were rushed and pulled it off and well I might add.

Anyway, Villa if you need any help I'll give what I can, contrary to what people might think I am not anti-sithies or whatever. I think the Sithies are a great thing for the site, as I've stated before, or else I wouldn't be here.

Also, this seems like a thread for ways to improve the system, not add category ideas, perhaps a new thread for that?

Affiliation:

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/GREEN.png[/img]

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Hey Sithies Gurus ^_^

There is one part of the process that I would like to critique.

For the group/storyline awards, shouldn't the award have been shared by the entire group involved in writing the winning scenario? The award is for a scenario, and not for an individual, and so all participants, or at least all major participants, should be acknowledged. As far as we can tell, you gave the award for best player versus player combat to Erin, Wade, and Ade, because they were the three writers whose posts were directly quoted in the nominations. They certainly deserved it, but they weren't the only major characters involved in that combat (Full disclosure: it started with Erin vs Liya, but I got knocked out pretty early on).

Does this mean that you only read the posts presented, and did not look at the entire flow of the storyline? I don't see how you could understand the scenario without at least a glance at the context. I can understand that it might have been too long to read the entire thing, but it looks to me like you didn't even look at it.

So was it the storyline/RP that was being nominated, or were the characters, who just happened to be a part of that story, being nominated? It was an award for an RP story, not for a character or team of characters. The judges should analyze the entire storyline (maybe at a high level, but at least far enough to know who all the major participants were).

Just some food for thought, and please don't take this personally. I'm not concerned about whether my name was on this year's award or not (I already got one more award than I expected). I just wanted to make sure this sort of situation gets handled more fairly next time. Thanks!

~Liya

Player's Guild
Player's Guild

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:42 am

It was the characters that were nominated that were judged, only those three were nominated so only those three went forward for judging. If there was another scrap alongside it then they needed nominating seperately to be included. The posts that were put up are the ones the most attention is paid to (they should be examples of the best writing in the fight) just because the judges simply don't have time to go through pages and pages of rp in fine detail, but they do look at the whole SL alongside it. I know from the PMs I got at how much reading the judges put into that award.

Affiliation:

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:47 am

I can tell you from experience, having helped judge that particular fight for the Sithies, along with several others who tirelessly gave their own good time to see the awards to fruition, that there is no reasonable way to expect all the judges to read all the posts pertaining to that fight. This is why examples are requested, and a summary of the situation to go along side it, so the judges have a vague idea of what is happening before we troll through the individual posts.

Now, it is assumed that when a nomination is made, that the pertaining people eligible for that award are included, hence that particular one was Ade, Wade and Erin. If others were involved in its build up (as you say yourself in this case) then really it is the responsibility of the nominator to include you. It is not the judges responsibility to go sniffing through to see who else may or may not be involved and therefore eligible.

The judges have enough to do as it is.

The bottom line really is; if you want to win an award, get yourself nominated by name, otherwise we can only work on assumptions that full disclosure has been met in the original nomination.

Affiliation:

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/GREEN.png[/img]

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:40 am

[quote="Cassus Fett":2gfcb7oy]there is no reasonable way to expect all the judges to read all the posts pertaining to that fight.[/quote:2gfcb7oy]
Certainly not. I know this one was 10 or 12 pages. I'm just asking for a little fact-checking. The nomination threads are gone so I can't check at this point, but I don't think people understood that they were being asked for ALL the participants. It's kind of assumed that if you are nominating a fight or a storyline that you're nominating everyone, isn't it? It's not like an individual award.

[quote="Cassus Fett":2gfcb7oy]Now, it is assumed that when a nomination is made, that the pertaining people eligible for that award are included, hence that particular one was Ade, Wade and Erin. If others were involved in its build up (as you say yourself in this case) then really it is the responsibility of the nominator to include you.[/quote:2gfcb7oy]
This is the answer. If you state this more clearly next time then I think all is well. :-)

[quote="Cassus Fett":2gfcb7oy]The bottom line really is; if you want to win an award, get yourself nominated by name, otherwise we can only work on assumptions that full disclosure has been met in the original nomination.[/quote:2gfcb7oy]
This isn't about me. I'm just trying to help you improve the process.

Thank you for your time.
Next

Return to The Sithies