Information: The new forums are now open: http://boards.jedivsith.com. We've disabled all posting here on the old forum, but you can view everything.

Saving Grace

Players may begin new storylines here.

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:33 pm

Saving Grace

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:13 am

Prologue

*Disbelief. That's one way to put how I felt when it happened. Refusing to believe that the child I had held in my arms was no longer moving. Could no longer move. Only a day previous she had been running, laughing, looking, asking questions to satisfy her deep curiosity. Now my little girl was dead. How exactly do you expect a father to react to that?

For a long amount of time, I don't know how long, I'd simply remained there, kneeling upon the ground, cradling her lifeless form in my arms, unmoving, my mind as blank as her once-vivid green eyes. I heard nothing, felt nothing, saw nothing but her body, so cold, so empty.

So wrong.

How could he have done this? What did she have to do with our deal? Why was she punished for my failure?

When finally my senses returned, I held her close and wept. Some time after that, I resolved to fix this. She didn't deserve this. She didn't deserve to have her life ripped away from her so soon. I had the resources. I had the technology. I had the knowledge. I could fix this. I had to. And I knew just how to do it.

Firstly, I had to make schematics. The entire process would take time, I knew, and I needed her body intact. I set about placing her within multiple scanners, collecting important data and creating wireframe images of her body, muscles, skeletal system, and organs. This would have to be perfect, and I would have the scanners work multiple times until I was certain there were no errors present.

Then, the most delicate procedure... Scanning her brain, converting her knowledge and memories to data. The most delicate, and easily the most important; this was, after all, how my beautiful Gracie would continue to live on.

Not once had I ever thought, "This is unethical, this will not be my child, but a mere copy." When you're a mourning father, consumed with grief, you would do anything to bring your child back, wouldn't you? I'd have sold my soul to the darkest of gods if it could bring her back, but fortunately for me, I had a much less drastic method of bringing my daughter back from the dead.

The cerebral scans were flawless, converting every last ounce of knowledge, every single memory, into data. I also had scans conducted upon her cerebellum to preserve her motor skills up until her death, and these too were flawlessly converted to data. I knew this would go well. And that gave me both hope and focus.

I gathered all the resources necessary, synthskin, biofibers, various electronic systems, bonemer for the skeletal structure. And then I began to craft her. Began to build her skeleton, around which I would reform her body. It was a tedious process; a mold had to be created, for each bone, and these would have to be connected with synthetic ligaments to keep the skeleton together. Simultaneously, her biofiber organs and muscles were being crafted according to their schematics, built to the proper size and shape. They were interwoven with electronic systems that would connect to her new brain, which I would personally oversee separately.

When these were complete, it was her brain that I next endeavored to recreate. It would have to be manually connected to the digital "spinal chord" once completed, and this was a process I was going to make sure was done perfectly. The brain was only a brain in appearance; in actuality, it was a computer in disguise, a data center governing the actions of her body. Similar to a brain, it was divided into many sections that each focused on a specific set of functions. Added to that her knowledge, memories, and cerebellar activity, and she would be a perfect replica. She would live on as she once had...

When her body had been assembled apart from her outer layer of skin, I had seen to it that the brain had been properly inserted into her skull, connected firmly to the spinal chord, and nestled snugly within her cranium. Then, the final step, her skin. Some would think this to be a simple step, but they underestimate the complexity and the beauty of the human skin. It had many layers, many shapes, many forms. It had to be shaped perfectly, and the mold was in place. A tedious process, one I yet again ensured was carried out perfectly, down to the smallest detail.

It took me months, but at last, there she lay, perfectly assembled. Even at close observation, I could tell no difference between her and the daughter I once held and loved. But of course, this was the same daughter! I wanted to activate her just then, but I held myself back. I needed to run a final set of diagnostics before I knew she was ready.

And her body... Her original body... I very well couldn't bury it, not on Helska IV! I could cremate it... but I could never bring myself to do such a thing, even to a past shell. No, I simply decided to leave the body in suspended animation, putting it away, out of sight; my poor Gracie didn't need to see what had happened to her. Didn't need to know...

As I returned to the laboratory, I scanned the diagnostics' results as they flashed upon the screen. Checkmark after checkmark in my mind. Not a single hitch in her systems. All systems were responding perfectly. Brain activity was stable. And as the final diagnostic result appeared on the screen, I smiled to myself, holding back tears: My Gracie was ready to live again.

I turned towards the console. One press of a button, and she would live again. I licked a bead of sweat off my lip, unaware until just then that I had indeed been sweating. She couldn't see me like this. Quickly I removed my glasses and folded back my sleeve, wiping my face dry with the inside of it. I looked into a reflective surface to see what I looked like, if I looked presentable, only to take note of the unshaven beard and disheveled hair. I suppose I had not focused upon personal care as much as I had my darling daughter. No matter. If she asked, I would tell her I had been more concerned for her than I had been for my own hygiene.

Which of course, was the truth.

I took a breath and then sharply exhaled, mentally preparing myself for this. This would be the first time I'd interacted with Gracie in months. It would be welcome, it was something I eagerly awaited. My hand shook as I lifted it, and, seeing that I could not steady it, I bothered not as I simply depressed the button, the one that would signal Gracie's now-electronic brain that it was time for her to awaken. I folded my hands behind my back, approaching the table where she lay.

And then she opened her eyes.*

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:47 am

Re: Awakening

*She didn't really understand why she'd opened her eyes. Not yet, anyway. It just felt like something she was supposed to do. She wasn't exactly sure what was happening right now, or even who or what she was. Wait... No, she knew. Memories seemed to suddenly flood into her mind, and once more she was aware of who she was.

She was Gracie, and she lived in a laboratory on Helska IV. That was where her daddy worked! He built stuff, and was very smart too! And Mommy├óÔé¼ÔÇØ ... That's right. Mommy was gone. That was sad, but she still had Daddy!

And Helska IV was um, was a moon! An ice moon, and Gracie wasn't sure why her daddy had his laboratory on an ice moon, since it was so cold and she couldn't play outside, but there were places inside for her to play too, like in her room or the gardens, which Daddy somehow made warm to look like a real outside place on a warmer planet instead of a cold planet, so that was good too.

But... something had happened... Something scary. It had happened so quickly, and suddenly there was nothing. Blackness. And now she was awake again?

It was now she had realized she hadn't moved at all yet. She slowly turned her neck left and right, her eyes traveling all over the room. She lifted her head, looking at her right hand, which she raised by bending the elbow, then curled and uncurled her fingers, as though recalling how to control her own body. It felt... new almost, different, yet at the same time familiar. How long had it been since the bad thing had happened? So long she'd forgotten what her body felt like?

The sensation of sound suddenly returned to her, as she heard footsteps, the click of which sharply contrasted with the silence of only a moment before. With a very soft gasp, she turned her head towards the source of the sound, to see a man standing there with disheveled hair and an unkempt beard. But beneath all that was a face her eyes immediately recognized, drawing a grin to her lips.*
"Daddy!" *she squealed, immediately sitting up and extending her arms toward him.

Immediately he beamed and unfolded his arms, extending them as well as he quickened his pace toward her. He wrapped his arms around her and lifted her into his arms, as she tightened her own arms around him and snuggled against him. Once more did a familiar sense seem to awaken, as though she were experiencing the sense of touch for the first time.*

"Oh, I'm so glad you're awake," *her daddy said, his voice slightly thick.

Gracie extricated herself just enough to hold onto his shoulders for support so she could look up into his eyes. They were glistening, wet, as though he might cry. Why would he be wanting to cry? Did something bad happen? Furrowing her brow a bit, she asked,*
"Daddy, how long was I asleeps?"

*Her daddy seemed to bite his lip for a moment, it was difficult to tell because his lips were so fuzzy, but he soon answered,* "Quite a long time, sweetie. You had... an accident."

"You mean like the one Mommy had?" *she inquired, tilting her head to the side.

His eyes seemed to glaze over for a moment, his gaze unfocused, before he finally focused his eyes upon her and sighed.*
"Not quite."

"Oh. Well is I okay now, Daddy?"

*The smile returned to his lips as he chuckled and nodded.* "Yes, sweetheart. Never better," *he answered, leaning forward and kissing her on the forehead. She giggled and snuggled against him again, tightening her arms around him.*

"I hopes you weren't scared, Daddy."

*A long pause.* "I was terrified." *He reached up and started to gently stroke her short golden hair.* "But I had faith that I could bring you back."

*Gracie giggled again, once more extricating herself and spreading her arms to the sides triumphantly, palms open and facing forward.* "And you dids! I love you, Daddy!" *She threw her arms around his neck and pressed her cheek against his. He responded by gently wrapping his own arms tightly around her, cradling her against him.*

"I love you too, angel."

*For a long moment, they simply held each other. Gracie couldn't remember ever being hugged like this, but she liked it; it meant her daddy loved her lots! But as much as she liked hugs, she didn't want to stay in the same hug forever. So, finally, she extricated herself again, looking up at her daddy with a smile and saying,* "So whats ya building now, Daddy?"

*He chuckled, then replied,* "Nothing at the moment. Today, sweetie, we'll do whatever you want to do."

"Okay!" *Gracie grinned. Not two seconds later, a churning sound from her abdomen drew her gaze, and it occurred to her that it felt like she hadn't eaten in... ever. She grinned again, her expression alone conveying her desire at that moment, as if the sound wasn't enough.*

"Well then, food it is. I'm a little peckish myself. Here." *He lowered her to the ground, releasing her slowly, as though fearing she might not be able to stand steadily. Gracie did indeed wobble slightly, but quickly controlled her balance and stood as steady as ever, beaming up at her daddy. He smiled back, then reached behind the console, retrieving a small bundle and holding it out for his daughter.* "Go on, get dressed, then you can eat whatever you want."

*Gracie studied the bundle, before realizing it was her favorite outfit and cried,* "Yay!" *before snatching it from his hands and dressing herself. As with everything else so far, she had very minor difficulty initially, but quickly recalled the proper motions and dressed flawlessly. Then she beamed up at her daddy, extending a hand towards him.* "Alright, Daddy, let's go eat!"

*With no other response but a smile, he reached out to take her hand, leading her away from her place of rebirth.*

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Saving Grace

*Cheesy noodles had always been her favorite food, and they were as yummy as they ever had been. But yet again, she was hit with the sensation that, while she definitely knew she had tasted this before, had felt its texture in her mouth, it was as though she never had before. In fact, it almost seemed like there had been a brief delay between her chewing and her mind actually registering the flavor, but only for the first bite. Had it been just because she was asleep for so long, so it felt like she hadn't done any of the things she was so used to for so long?

After eating, she ran to the gardens, wobbling unsteadily at first before her mind seemed to quickly recall how to run, and once more her running was steady. They had always been her favorite place to play, after all, so naturally, that was the first place she wanted to go after eating.

She slowed to a stop at the entrance, nearly losing control her inertia and toppling over, but she righted herself; by now, she was no longer questioning these strange fits, instead accepting that she was going to have to endure them. Right now, her focus was upon the gardens beyond the entry chamber, the glass roof overhead filtering in light and amplifying it, casting a warm glow upon the room. Several species of plants and trees decorated the area, carpeted with a lush, soft carpet of smooth green grass. Various vines decorated some of the larger trees, draped over branches and curling around their trunks. A few small insects flittered here and there, the prettiest of which├óÔé¼ÔÇØand Gracie's favorite├óÔé¼ÔÇØwere the butterflies, with their beautiful various colors.

Her daddy opened the first set of double doors for her, and they both stepped inside the entry chamber. Daddy had explained long ago that this room was made to make sure the insects in the gardens did not escape the gardens and fly around the base. When the first set of doors had sealed, the second slid open, and Gracie darted into the gardens almost before they were open enough.

Her feet├óÔé¼ÔÇØbare, for her daddy had not yet supplied her shoes├óÔé¼ÔÇØfelt the gentle touch of grass upon her soles, lightly tickling them. But quickly they adjusted once more to the feel, and she continued to run through the grass, past the flowers and trees. She extended the fingers of one hand, tips of them trailing over smooth bark, rough vines, mossy textures... All new feelings, yet all familiar feelings.

A single yellow flower impeded her path, and she stopped to look down at it. She then crouched down, folding her hands between her knees as she examined it for a moment. She knew this kind of flower. She'd felt them and smelled them, she'd placed them in her hair and in the openings of her clothes to decorate herself with. Yet she knew, the moment she picked it up, the moment she smelled it, it would seem like a new experience.

So she reached down and pinched her fingers around the stem of the flower, twisting it as the tiny bristles prickled her skin painlessly. Sure enough, it was a sensation she remembered, and yet, her fingers felt like they had never touched such a surface before. She then plucked the flower, holding it up to her nose to sniff it as the petals tickled her nose. There once again seemed to be a delay between her action and the registering of the action, like when she had her first taste of food after awaking from her coma. And there it was, the smell she knew, yet never smelled before...*

"Daddy?" *she suddenly said, turning and looking up at him, who had appeared behind her.*

"Yes, Gracie?" *he answered.

He was still smiling. In fact, he had been since she'd woken up. He was probably just really happy she was awake again because he loved her! And that made her smile too. But only for a moment, before she frowned again and asked,*
"How come everything I does feels like the first time I done it even though I done it before?"

*Finally her daddy seemed to frown, but only a little bit. Gracie was slightly concerned at this, but already he was smiling again, stepping forward and kneeling beside her, placing his hands on her shoulders and speaking reassuringly.* "Well, sweetie, it's probably because you've been asleep for a long time! You may remember doing all these things, but your body just forgot."

"Oh." *That actually did make a lot of sense to Gracie. She looked at the flower, slowly twirling it between her thumb and forefinger, then sniffed it again, giggling as the petals tickled her nose. She lowered it, then looked back up at her daddy.* "Does you think it'll stop soon?"

"Of course." *He nodded, then wrapped his arms around her, hugging her gently.* "Everything will be back to normal soon."

*Gracie turned a bit in his arms so that she could wrap her own arms around her daddy.* "I just wish Mommy was here too."

"Me too, sweetheart. Me, too..."

Return to Active Storylines