Information: The new forums are now open: http://boards.jedivsith.com. We've disabled all posting here on the old forum, but you can view everything.

Academy Main Building

Affiliation:

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/GREEN.png[/img]

Post Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Academy Main Building

*Overhead, a pair of CF9 crossfires screamed past, followed by a slower more lumbering turbostorm-class gunship. Taking note of the single individual at the academies doors, Lieutenant Castell signaled for the CF9's to return to base. While the mans intentions were unknown, the crew had a job to do; install the communications pylon in the academy. With there only being one unknown, that mission would be primary, and identification would be secondary.*

*Slowly, the gunship noisily drifted over the high walls of the academy, before eventually setting down in the courtyard inside of the walls of the academy grounds. Idly, the ship slowly winded down until its engine came to a stuttering stop. From it, Lieutenant Castell and twenty soldiers disembarked, carrying the communications pylon towards the southward wall of the academy.*

*With a clipped 'Yesir!' the soldiers saluted, and continued on their mission. Meanwhile, the somewhat stern looking Castell turned to a slowly emerging man from the hold of the gunship.*

*With a wry smile, the scholar known as Cadmus smiled slightly.*

*With a sharp nod, Lieutenant Castell quickly marched after his troops to supervise. Cadmus though, slowly walked over to the massive double doors that sealed the entrance, and knocked sharply on them.*

Affiliation:

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:25 pm

*It had been a while, truth be told. And to be blunt, Dante hadn't had the passion for the art back in those more...tame days. But here he walked - on the destroyed grounds of his old academy. It had been a dismal failure of course, the dueling academy, but then again, had he really tried his best? So many things had transpired since then. The Fel crew, his take over of the planet, his abandonment of pirating. Was he ready to try again? This time with...determination? He thought so.*

*As he walked the grounds, he marveled at its disrepair - the academies sturdy walls had been reduced to piles of rubble, the grotto, and several other key features of the place also having been destroyed. All that was left was the main building, the and the main buildings adjunct dormitories.*

*Picking his way across the buckled stone doors of the academy, Dante shook his head. This had been a proud place. A place of learning...now though...it was left broken. The main building itself was dilapidated...with holes in the roof, and entire sections of wall being blown apart. That, and no construction team to help rebuild the place.*

"...Perhaps it should be left standing."

*Aye. Should this place be rebuilt? Or should it stand as testimony to pride and arrogance.*

"It would be even more arrogant to build a new one."

*Striding forward, Dante entered the academy, and began taking stock of the disused building. He notes holes, broken windows, places where the sand had accumulated, and more...

It would be a lot of hard work to get this place back up and running by himself. But...it was necessary. So necessary.*

Affiliation:

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:39 pm

*Finally, finally the work was done. Holes in the roof had been patched with various detritus tiles left over from the explosions, walls had been patched with loose debris and a paste of mud and quickment. The worst part had been getting the sand out of the building...the SAND. It got EVERYWHERE. Have you even tried scooping of sand with your bare hands? it got real old REAL fast. He had eventually fashioned a kind of broom out of a plant he had found outside, and a vibromop handle he had found in a storage cabinet. In all...he had to admit it was pretty shoddy. Obviously shoddy patch jobs in the ceiling and walls, and downright Sithspit floors. But, well, it was something. After all, you were here to learn, not to play.

Silently, Dante went outside, observing the grounds. Dilapidated walls, burnt sections of stone and ground, sand. Everywhere. Sand. Shaking his head, Dante headed for other areas on the grounds - making his rounds.*

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:37 pm

*The lone Sakiyan stepped carefully through a collapsed portion of wall and swept his gaze across the academy, taking in the patchwork repairs of the main building and unkempt grounds. The place had been regal once, perhaps even enough to be called proud, but now all that remained was a shell of it's former stature; though if the master of this place had indeed returned, it would do. Yes, it would do nicely. Raising his grip on the walking staff, the man shifted his large bag to the other shoulder and continued on, looking for an entrance, or perhaps a groundskeeper, given the state of partial repair.*

Affiliation:

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:44 pm

*Silently, Dante made his rounds around the grounds of the academy doing...well, nothing really. Wasn't much to do except chase sand turtles. And trust me...that got old REAL quick. As he walked - wearing his customary all black clothing, in the desert no less - he turned a corner and spied a lone individual, entering the grounds. With a snicker, Dante slowly walked up to him, taking notes.

├óÔé¼┬ó Large bag, no slouching or limping - he was used to hard work and heavy loads, that or he didn't mind taking heavy loads.
├óÔé¼┬ó Walking stick, for defense, or for a long journey.
├óÔé¼┬ó Shifted bag to other shoulder - had finite tolerance of pain, had been traveling long enough to shift bag.
├óÔé¼┬ó Interesting physiology...large head - enhanced intelligence, sensory abilities?

As Dante drew closer, he raised a hand in greeting, before coming to a stop a ways away. He paused briefly, to shake out the sand in his boot, before putting the knee high affair back on. Idly, he leaned against one of the dilapidated walls.*

"So...came to the Academy eh?"

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:09 pm

*Krios avoided turning to face the man until he stopped and addressed him, most beings did not like knowing that you could hear their heartbeat a dozen meters away, much less the footsteps they thought were quiet, and when he did turn it was with an air of mild surprise, someone expecting to meet another being yet not certain of when or where. Even before the Sakiyan's eyes caught sight of the man, observations and calculations began pouring through his mind.*

*The man smelled of both dried and fresh sweat, though the dried nearly overpowered the fresh, as well as an unfamiliar aroma that was likely unique to his species. His lone heart beat with a steady, rythmic cadence, the heart of a healthy man, and his breathing was calm and not labored in the slightest. Clearly he had been working earlier in the day though had had sufficient time since then to return his biorythms to their rest state. When his eyes made contact, it became clear that the man was not a simple caretaker, his muscle tone alone spoke of a man who maintained a rigid regimen of exercise with a focus on speed and dexterity, clearly a duelist. He carried himself with an air of supreme confidence, and his clothes were dirty yet not worn. He possessed wealth, but was not above doing work himself.*

"That has been my goal, yes. I am called Krios. And you are?"

*There was curiosity on the sakiyan's features, though he already knew the answer to his question.*

Affiliation:

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:22 pm

"Your blue."

[action:2tt4q5zj]...Wait what? It wasn't exactly the sort of thing you expected to hear first thing out of someones mouth. For a second, Dante seemed to pause and think about this fact, before nodding to himself, satisfied.[/action:2tt4q5zj]

"I think I'm ok with that."

[action:2tt4q5zj]It was no idle comment; Dante's racism got in the way of things sometimes. If he was ok with the alien though, they'd get along just fine...just fine indeed.[/action:2tt4q5zj]

[quote="Krios":2tt4q5zj]
[color=#0080FF:2tt4q5zj]"That has been my goal, yes. I am called Krios. And you are?"[/color:2tt4q5zj][/quote:2tt4q5zj]

[action:2tt4q5zj]Krios - alien name. But passed for a non alien name nowadays? It had been his goal to get to the academy all along...must've heard it was getting rebuilt. But questions must abound...built by who? Why? For what purposes? Such things bounded around in both of their heads...time would tell just where it would take them. A shrug, a push away from the wall, a brisk walk - now walking along the wall - and a gesture to keep up.[/action:2tt4q5zj]

"Me? I'm NOT blue."

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:38 pm

[quote="Dante the Deceiver":vj1e6i69]"Your blue."

[action:vj1e6i69]...Wait what? It wasn't exactly the sort of thing you expected to hear first thing out of someones mouth. For a second, Dante seemed to pause and think about this fact, before nodding to himself, satisfied.[/action:vj1e6i69]

"I think I'm ok with that."[/quote:vj1e6i69]
[narration:vj1e6i69]A curious comment, though the Sakiyan had had experiences with racism before, so not wholly unexpected. Though the fact that blue skin, and Krios' other genetic traits, were so easily accepted likely meant that it was not non-humans that the man held prejudice against.[/narration:vj1e6i69]

[quote="Dante the Deceiver":vj1e6i69]*Krios - alien name. But passed for a non alien name nowadays? It had been his goal to get to the academy all along...must've heard it was getting rebuilt. But questions must abound...built by who? Why? For what purposes? Such things bounded around in both of their heads...time would tell just where it would take them. A shrug, a push away from the wall, a brisk walk - now walking along the wall - and a gesture to keep up.*

"Me? I'm NOT blue."[/quote:vj1e6i69]
[color=#0080FF:vj1e6i69]"Your powers of observation continue to serve you well."[/color:vj1e6i69]

[narration:vj1e6i69]As he moved to catch up to the not blue man, Krios' mind continued to observe and catalog almost of its own accord. A brisk pace, likely meant to keep the guest off-balance as there was no reason to hurry anywhere, coupled with the gesture to follow, meant the man liked being in control almost as much as he did manipulating people and events. This man was not a mere duelist, but a strategist as well. It had been a long while since he had encountered another with the capacity for such subtlety, and Krios allowed a small smile to grace his lips as he walked alongside the man. This would do very nicely indeed.[/narration:vj1e6i69]

Affiliation:

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:53 pm

*He didn't look hot - must have a higher tolerance for the temperature. Beyond that, Dante didn't answer the comment, not even mentally, preferring silence as they moved to the inside of the academy. Moving inside being the optimal word; they merely stepped through a hole in a wall that some errant grenade had blown apart.*

"We're eh, still a little holey. War wasn't too kind to this place."

*Stepping inside, Dante walked down the hallways, to the center of the building. The building center seemed to house the only part of the academy that had been left untouched - the duelists circle - an intricate upraised dais of stone, on which multiple concentric rings and arcs had been laid down in black stone.*

"Duelists circle. The center black stone represents the duelist, the arcs in all their arcyness represents the different paths that the warrior may choose - disciplines and training. The concentric rings steadily growing outward from the central stone represent challenges to overcome, and difficulties to be faced. The duelists circle is my life. I assume, you want it to be yours."

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:08 am

*Krios leaned his staff on the wall and lowered his duffel to the floor, then approached the upraised platform as Dante explained. Symbolism was often a powerful tool in many areas of life, from persuading the masses to cajoling an individual, and that tenet was equally true in the area of self-discipline. He turned back to face his gold-skinned host.*

"I have come to learn, yes. My studies thus far have been primarily academic, and I wish now to devote my time and energy to the study of martial skills."

*He had, of course, been trained in the traditional Sakiyan arts, but the galaxy possessed a great many disciplines, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Krios was determined to learn them all.*

Affiliation:

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:15 am

*Dante sat on the Dais, and nodded slowly.*

"My Name is Dante, Dante the Deceiver. I'm the...well I suppose you could call me the headmaster here. For now, I run the academies facilities, as well as keep the grounds. Welcome to my establishment. You say your studies have primarily been academic, what areas have you studied? By martial skill, what specifically do you wish to learn? And more importantly...why?"

*As he spoke, Dante idly swept some sand off the dais, cleaning the grooves of the stone with a finger. Neatly, he made an ever increasing pile of sand at the very edge of the dais.*

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:32 am

[narration:gej5ybb0]Interesting. Krios had never before met a manipulator who openly claimed the title, which in a turn of irony likely made this Dante the most honest of manipulative men. Curious indeed...[/narration:gej5ybb0]

[quote="Dante the Deceiver":gej5ybb0]"I'm the...well I suppose you could call me the headmaster here. For now, I run the academies facilities, as well as keep the grounds. Welcome to my establishment. You say your studies have primarily been academic, what areas have you studied? By martial skill, what specifically do you wish to learn? And more importantly...why?"[/quote:gej5ybb0]
[color=#0080FF:gej5ybb0]"A comprehensive list of my academic studies would take significant time to recite, and even were you willing to devote the time, I would not be willing to supply the information. Suffice it to say that I am well-versed in a wide number of subjects."[/color:gej5ybb0]

[narration:gej5ybb0]True words, if uninformative. The Sakiyan had very nearly studied every discipline covered at the university of sanbra, as well as those on coruscant, corellia, naboo, and various other planets. Very nearly fifty years of his life had been entirely devoted to the pursuit of academic knowledge. It was time for a change.[/narration:gej5ybb0]

[color=#0080FF:gej5ybb0]"As for martial disciplines, I wish to learn as much as you will teach me. Stava, K'tara, and Teras Kasi are formidable unarmed disciplines, while Teelar capitalizes on the use of multiple blades. All of these have their place and I am driven to find it."[/color:gej5ybb0]

Affiliation:

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:43 am

*Head nodding, hemming and hawing, Dante offered little input to the beings words. At the mention of the arts though, Dante spoke thoughtfully.*

"Stava, Ktara, Teras kasi, all fine choices...multiple blade use, a little advanced, but manageable. Using two weapons effectively is more challenging than using a single. But, if it's caught your eye, we can attempt it."

*A pause in the collection of sand, followed by a headshake.*

"Lesson one. Academic knowledge and martial knowledge are one in the same - you'll use both in either setting, to advantage or disadvantage. Because of this, the academic is as much a potent weapon as the martial, consequently, the scope and breadth of your academic knowledge influences your ability to use the martial efficiently and more importantly, effectively. So again I'll ask; what have you studied?"

*As he spoke, he resumed his sand collecting, pausing briefly to spit into the sand.*

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:00 am

"Very well."

*If trusting the man that called himself deceiver was the sacrifice necessary to satisfy the craving for knowledge, then Krios would pay it, though reluctantly. Taking a seat on the floor, the Sakiyan folded his legs and settled down.*

" I have studied history, philosophy, religion, politics, linguistics, literature, logic, mathematics, computer sciences, chemistry, physics, architecture, economics, engineering, psychology, sociology, anthropology, medicine, anatomy, and piloting. These are broad subjects and do their best to encompass the whole of my studies, but I admit there are subjects that do not fit perfectly into any of these categories, such as my academic knowledge of various combat forms."

Affiliation:

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:13 am

"Fair enough."

*Slowly, Dante climbed onto the pedestal, and gestured for Krios to do the same.*

"Training begins now. Here. What combat experience do you have? Do you know how to use a weapon? What types of weapons? Force sensitive or not?"

*As he spoke, Dante silently kept on cleaning the dais, bunching sand into neat little piles.*

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:21 am

*Krios rose and followed Dante onto the platform, taking a position opposite him.*

"I possess no affinity for the force and have been trained in the traditions of my people. Hunting, tracking, and the use of the spear, the knife, and the bow. Beyond that, my knowledge is academic and untested."

Affiliation:

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:31 am

*Against a far wall, there was a weapon rack - it contained a rapier, a longsword, a greatsword, two daggers, a bow and quiver, a spear, a shield, a mace, and an axe. Pointing to it, Dante gestured with his hand.*

"Neither of us know what style you use, our first task will be identifying that style. From there, we can work on training you appropriately in your chosen weapons and techniques. Choose a weapon or weapons that your most comfortable with, return to the duelists circle, and attack me when ready."

*At that, Dante walked to the center of the circle, and continued his task of collecting sand - albeit this time with the toe of his boot.*

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:47 am

*Nodding, Krios moved off the platform and toward the weapon rack. Ignoring the blades, mace and shield, he gripped the bow and tested the draw. It was far lighter than what he was used to, and he would have to be careful to avoid snapping the limbs, but it would suffice. Drawing an arrow from the quiver, he nocked and drew, placing his aim at a far wall well clear of Dante, then released and sent the shaft to bury its tip in a crack between the stone blocks. Excellent.*

*Drawing a second arrow from the quiver, he nocked and drew and once again placed his aim on the crack where the first shaft still reverberated, then without warning shifted his aim to Dante's chest and released. Before the arrow reached its intended target he had dropped the bow and was snatching the spear, then moved swiftly to leap back onto the platform and close the distance to Dante, attacking with a diagonal slash across Dante's chest, upper left to lower right, the point of intended impact being between the neck and shoulder.*

Affiliation:

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:35 am

*He stood in the center of the circle, moving sand about with his foot idly. Silently, he began drawing on the force, suffusing it into his body - it started slowly, but grew steadily, exponentially; the energy suffused his muscles, his senses, his nerves...he felt the world around him begin to slow as his reactions quickened, felt his muscles hum with strength, his senses come alive with sensation. He felt...taller...far more aware of his balance and equilibrium, yet at the same time, so very stable...immovable.*

*Silently, he observed his opponent - he took ahold of the bow, and tested the draw. He drew the bow far too easily, and indeed, seemed to be cautious using the item, drawing the string back with an ease that bellied the aliens limbs. He was strong, easily strong as Dante, maybe more. As the alien let loose an arrow into the wall, Dante noted the ease that Krios placed the arrow oh so precisely in the crack of the stones. He was skilled with the weapon, accurate...*

*Silently, Dante observed the...not slow, but sluggish movements of his opponent. His Matukai training afforded him enhanced and improved physical ability - including reactions. Despite this, it was no force speed that he was using...things didn't progress around him at a crawl...simply...sluggishly, murkily. As Krios drew another arrow and aimed at the wall, it thus came no surprise to Dante as Krios aimed at his chest and let loose an arrow - indeed, was already going through his options as the bowman took aim, his reactions giving him advanced warning of the bowman's intent.

He didn't have much time; the boost afforded him an extra second, two at the most to react to most movements. Carefully he noted the archers aim, and quickly began raising his arms to chest height, simultaneously shifting his left foot back, and his right foot forward and to the right. He then conducted a simple maneuver, he pushed off with his left foot to his right, and scooted his right foot to the right - a classic martial arts "shuffle". It served not to cross the feet or send the body off balance, yet at the same time allowed for the legs to exert maximum leverage on the ground by lowering the body center of gravity (the spacing of the legs requiring a slight bending of the knees). Easily, Dante repositioned himself but seven inches to his right, the arrow arcing through the space he had just occupied.

The result would appear like a "whirlwind" (As Matukai in action have been described in canon) of movement, a veritable blur as Dante shifted to his right in what would appear an unnaturally fluid movement.*

*He continued his observation...the rack was against the far wall, a ways away from the duelists circle. It afforded some time (especially with his Matukai abilities) to observe his opponent. In dealing with the arrow - as trivial as it had been - it had taken some time. Even now, his opponent rushed towards him; with the amount of speed that he approached, he no doubt intended to vault up onto the dais...which suited Dante just fine.*

*As his opponent drew nearer, Dante prepared, watching through enhanced senses for his opponents telltale 'crouch' that signified a jump approaching. His patience was rewarded - as his opponent drew near, his weight shifted for a "leap" onto the dais, and at that exact moment, Dante moved as well. It was a simple movement, a forceful kicking sweep of his left leg (currently back) sweeping out and around to his left and forward, the sweeping kick ending with his left foot forward, and his RIGHT foot back - essentially reversing his standing position so that his left foot was forward, his right foot back, knees bent. To most, it would appear as if - once again - it was the simplest of martial arts maneuvers (known as a "shift" where ones "leading" leg is switched for his other leg. A very quick maneuver.). There was, however, an ulterior motive. As Dante had been standing and waiting, he had prepared a rather medium size of sand at the center of the circle of the duelists circle...

...a pile of sand that his kicking and sweeping foot impacted, and propelled in a nasty spray, up into his approaching foes face.

As his opponent was just landing on the edge of the dais, Dante himself being at the middle, it would take a number of steps to reach him; because of this, the spray would have dispersed proportionately by the time it reached Krios - resulting in a wide fan of sand that would be hard to block with his staff. No doubt the sand would be foiled though, at the least, it was a nuisance. Regardless, Dante wanted to see how his opponent would handle the trickery...and what many considered to be "underhanded" combat.*

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:19 pm

*It was no surprise when Dante avoided the arrow, being a self-proclaimed master of physical disciplines required a certain amount of actual skill, skill that this man clearly possessed. There was more to it than simple skill, however, as the last time Krios had seen anyone move with speed like that it had been while training with his brothers and sisters; all of whom had been enhanced beyond the norm even for his species, which was itself above the norm for humans and a great many of their offshoot races. There was something else at play here. The man had mentioned the force earlier, so perhaps that was what was giving him such great speed.*

*As Krios leaped onto the platform, the sand came as expected, no strategist would have gathered it idly, and he simply closed his eyes and exhaled, pushing through the annoyance as though it didn't exist. He could still clearly see his opponent's silvery sheen even through closed eyes, and so it was a simple matter to continue his attack in the same manner he had previously intended, though with one significant difference. As he moved forward, he swept his right foot through one of the sand piles Dante had left when he moved to the center of the rings, sending his own distraction up into the face of his opponent before closing the distance and executing the diagonal strike aimed between the man's right shoulder and neck.*
PreviousNext

Return to The Arcturan Academy of Duelists