Information: The new forums are now open: http://boards.jedivsith.com. We've disabled all posting here on the old forum, but you can view everything.

Books

Galactic Battle Arena Judge

Affiliation:

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/BLUE.png[/img]

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:04 pm

Re: Books

Except the Death Watch never did. They got wiped the kriff out. When they tried to come back, good old Gil shanked their leader.

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:42 am

Animorphs was sweet...till the later books when it started to get stupid. I cant remember all the details but I remember it was pretty bad.

I have read a lot of Goldens work. I dont usually mind her stuff, but maybe she dont translate well to SW.

I also only read Heir when I started writing on this site. Its only then I actually started reading SW books in general. It really blew my mind when I realised how many books were already out there. Still does.

Retired Master Moderator
Retired Master Moderator

Affiliation:

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:55 am

[quote="Garwig Gil Ga'Mesh":2nc4d4xn][quote="Old Man Eralam":2nc4d4xn]Zahn, Denning, Allston usually throw out good work. Traviss did too, until they axed her Sithspit over that stupid cartoon.[/quote:2nc4d4xn]

Last I heard, GL and the rest of the folks making Star Wars plan on trying to fit Traviss' stuff with the canon the cartoon brought. Hopefully it will be explained properly. From what previews had shown of the current season, it looks like Death Watch will eventually take over Mandalore, and therefore, fit it into the Mandalore that Traviss created.[/quote:2nc4d4xn]

Bah. Don't get me wrong, I think she is an excellent author and I thoroughly enjoyed the Republic Commando series. That said, she turned the Mandos into a bunch of farming sissies. Prior to that we had Boba Fett as our Mandalorian example, and only then in the Legacy series do we find out he's the exception to the rule.

I preferred my Mandos as a bunch of stone cold killers as opposed to a bunch of homely hug-muffins.

Affiliation:

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:35 am

They were still stone cold killers, but she made them seem human. These were people you could care about. Fett was cool, but he wasn't exactly the sort of person you could invest anything in emotionally. Her vision of Mandalore was a place that most of us might actually want to live in. When so much of the Star Wars universe has become cold and sterile like Coruscant, it's downright refreshing to have a corner of the universe like Mandalore.

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:59 pm

They're more like hot-blood murderers than stone-cold killers.

Take Beviin. He's the guy I quote whenever I need to reference the current age Mandos. And thank you book 8 of LOTF for explaining freaking everything I care to know.

Anyway (sorry to alter the subject so soon):

Who's mad that the ninth book to Fate is coming out NEXT SPRING? I am. I know they're done with it, and are already working on the next book series, in which Luke Skywalker finally kicks the ever-living bucket. (It has to happen; I just hope they do it well.) I'm just sad they care so much about maximizing profit on us poor, penniless nerds...

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Well if it took a moon to kill Chewie, then it has to be something big to get rid of Luke. I am sure they will go with old age, but thats a piss weak way to go.

Yes Yoda, I am looking at you!

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:09 am

True. Luke will have to internally accept a blackhole that threatens Coruscant to save it. Killing himself in the process. I find that sufficiently awesome.

Which gives me an idea for a new thread in this ridiculously empty forum.

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:43 pm

I just bought the 20th anniversary of Heir.

I am going to enjoy reading this again.

I aslo saw the Jedi Path manual thingy. I want a god damn sith one. Make a book of Banes teachings and his ideals on the rule of two.

Affiliation:

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:09 am

Sidious makes little footnotes all throughout the book. There are also notes from Yoda, Dooku, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Ahsoka, and Luke. It's an interesting read, more for the footnotes than anything.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:07 am

Ugh, Im not really a fan of these later series going on like whatever this current one is.

If they kill Luke off I would be pretty upset and would just make me feel justified in my decision to not read them... not that I need more lol

Affiliation:

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:30 pm

I don't know how but i could see Luke dying at the end of Fat of the Jedi. Maybe sacrificing himself to kill Abeloth.

Guild Councilor
Guild Councilor

Affiliation:

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/PURPLE.png[/img]

Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:04 pm

So bringing the Timeline back to about two years after the events in the First KOTOR game, the recently released book Revan.. so far is a great read. Gives you insight into the seemingly faceless player choice bound character and what exactly happened to him after he set off to the outer rim. Ties in nicely to KOTOR II and sets the stage for a few events in the Old Republic as well.

Affiliation:

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/GREEN.png[/img]

Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Just read the book Revan in half a day...very very interesting. I wished the book was longer, but it does expand upon the mysterious character known to us as the Sith Emperor, who rebuilt the Sith Empire. That by far was the best part of the book for me.

Affiliation:

Post Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:17 pm

So I have NEVER read a SW book. Or one that I can remember, the only two I perused was one with the solo twins and the other I can't remember. Anyways what is a good book for me to get started on?

Retired Master Moderator
Retired Master Moderator

Affiliation:

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:15 pm

[quote="Xeonon Solomon":1sjmwcvk]So I have NEVER read a SW book. Or one that I can remember, the only two I perused was one with the solo twins and the other I can't remember. Anyways what is a good book for me to get started on?[/quote:1sjmwcvk]

Anything by Timothy Zahn, really.

I started reading SW as a child. First it was the 12 book "Galaxy of Fear" series. They had holographic covers if you ordered them through scholastics. Really thin, big letters, children's books basically. I was still in elementary school when I started collecting them. In a couple of novels they included several characters from the original cast (Yoda, Luke, Leia, Han, Vader), and others from the expanded universe (Dash Rendar, namely).

After that I started reading the "Young Jedi Knights" series. Fifteen books in total, all by Kevin J. Anderson. Good way to get introduced to the Solo twins, Lowbacca, and Tenal Ka. They were fourteen or sixteen at the beginning of the series. Oh, let's not forget about Zekk either, Jaina's first boy-crush.

After that it was all the adult novels taking place just after ROTJ. Too many to count, though I recommend the Black Fleet Crises trilogy and the Jedi Academy trilogy. If you are set on reading everything, hit the New Jedi Order series up after that (but only if the YV interest you at all). I wouldn't read much further though. I have just about every novel they made after that and it all is pretty much downhill from there. Focus on the stuff surrounding the Galactic Civil war. By far the best era for SW literature.

Retired Master Moderator
Retired Master Moderator

Affiliation:

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Come to think of it, a lot of the Clone Wars era novels are half decent as well. Not the children's books, but the actual adult novels. Shatterpoint was one of my favorites. You can't go wrong with the Republic Commando series, though Karen Travis gets a little carried away with her Mando love. Needless to say they dropped the series before it was fully completed.

MedStar I and II will prepare you for the Coruscant Nights trilogy, which is kinda hokey, but interesting if you've also read Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. It's all sorta connected. I liked them, I like every SW novel at heart really, it was just weird content is all.

Affiliation:

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:48 pm

Yes the first I read was holographic with a snake in the eye during elementary then the one where Zekk is captured from the... Undercity?

If I see any of the named ones or Timmothy Zahn. Thanks Gortek!

Retired Master Moderator
Retired Master Moderator

Affiliation:

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Half way through Darth Plagueis. So far only one comment...

Awesome

To fully enjoy the EU connector drops you must be at least partially familiar with the NJO series.

Affiliation:

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:56 pm

For those new to Star Wars books, the Thrawn trilogy is a good place to start if you care about continuity.

If you're looking for a good read and don't give a damn what galaxy it happened in, go with I, Jedi. Possibly the best SW book out there.

Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:37 pm

i my self enjoyed the darth bane trilogy
PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars