Information: The new forums are now open: http://boards.jedivsith.com. We've disabled all posting here on the old forum, but you can view everything.

A JvS Horror Story Idea

Chat about anything JvS-related

Affiliation:

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/ORANGE.png[/img]

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:56 am

A JvS Horror Story Idea

*Of course you've heard the story. We all have. How it's supposedly out there, just waiting for someone foolish enough to go looking for it. Nobody knows where it came from, you know, but I have it on good word from a trader friend of mine that there was this bloke in a pub on Corellia. Or was it Corulag? Either way, he said he'd seen it. Had a map and everything, charted out an entirely new hyperlane just to get to it. Ship suffered trouble and he had to turn around, so he says, but it was there.

The Station.*

There is a Legend that's been spread to every corner of The Galaxy. Somewhere, out in unknown space, beyond where any other vessel has ever traveled, is a Space Station. An old one. Depending on who you'd talk to the story changes.

Smugglers down on their luck have been known to go on drunken rants on how it's filled to the brim with ancient treasures, valuable jewels, and spices that the most strung-out glitbiter could only dream of. It's a fortune that'd set someone up for a thousand lifetimes. Hell, you could probably buy those lifetimes and still not even scratch the surface of the trove.

Government Intelligence Agencies have been able to narrow down a few rumors that speak of technology far beyond our understanding. Propulsion systems that make hyperdrive look like a snail's pace. Computer hardware and software that outclasses even the most modern systems in the hands of the most high-tech armed forces. Deflector arrays that produce shields that never die, not even a flicker, even when subjected to unrelenting turbolaser fire. And that's just for the starfighter sized generators.

Mandalorian Oral History has passed down the story of a weapon beyond all comprehension. Young vode dream of what it'd be like to control that level of firepower; the ability to have entire star systems fall with but a word. Elderly Clan Chieftains consider the possibilities for the continued Mando existence if such destructive force could be placed into their very hands: a Glorious Crusade with the weapons of a God in their palms. All understand the honor that would surely come from bringing such a discovery to the Clans; Their name would be in every legend, undying.

The Sith still hold some of the ancient holocrons recovered from Korriban, from when their first Dark Jedi ancestors made contact with the mythical species. They told of unbelievable power: assured victory over all their enemies. The keys to eternal life, that their dominion might never end. Invincibility. Techniques hidden away in the darkest part of Space that would herald a new reign of Darkness unending. Some tales say that Palpatine found it. They are quickly dismissed ... Though one can't help but wonder.

The Jedi Archives are massive. They document nearly all of the Galaxy's collective knowledge. History. Philosophy. The heritage of The Order itself, the men and women who fought to defend it, information on its most vile foes, its greatest allies. Planet databases, star charts, biographies, schematics, anything imaginable is at a Jedi's fingertips when he delves into this encompassing Library. Why, then, are there some references inside The Archives to an even larger source of Knowledge? Records from the beginning. The Wisdom of Sages, teachings that could lead to enlightenment for all Jedi and those they protect. But if The Archives contain snippets of this lost encyclopedia, why doesn't it say where it is ..?

But those are just stories. They're not real. It's a myth. A legend. An idiot's ravings based upon nothing more than conjecture and half-truths. It doesn't matter how many have heard about "The Station", as it's called, nobody has ever found it. At least, not that anyone has ever confirmed.

Now, however, they've been circulating around. The Force traditions have gotten a hold of copies. Vode have memorized the coordinates by heart. The Republics and Empires of The Galaxy are losing their minds at seeing that not only is the route there, it's navigable. Spacers from all walks of life have been passing them around, some making dangerous wagers as to who will get to it first, each knowing in their heart that it'll surely be them.

Star Charts. Not a hoax. Some of the distance has already been inspected to make sure of that. There is a way to reach The Station. It exists. It's out there. But what is it? Is it worth the journey? Can it be afforded to pass it up?

... Maybe just a small team. That'd do it. No one else will know, after all. Who would be insane enough to travel through uncharted space, where throwing the hyperspace switch is just as likely to end you up in a black hole, or a star? ... But there's the map. It shows the way. It can be done, so we think.

A small group would do it. Just to see. If there's nothing out there, that's fine. They'll have just charted a new hyperlane to nowhere, that's all. Even then, maybe they'll find a new star system. Or make contact with a new species.

But what if they do find it ..? What if The Station is there, just waiting?

We'd be Rich. Not "buy a planet" rich, I'm talkin' "I'm renaming this star system" rich.

They'd bring back advances that'll move civilization ahead by a century. Two!

We'd finally have the might to wage war on the entire Galaxy. An everlasting Crusade towards eternal glory.

We'd have the power to dominate this pitiful Universe and all within it. Once more, The Sith will rule all, as it should be.

We'd have a chance to uncover something new. Something no one has ever seen before. Ancient knowledge. Maybe even the Celestials constructed it!

You're right. Just a small team. They'll find their way out there, check it out, and bring back the report. That's all.

Simplest job in the world.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

There's nobody here.

We found it, but nobody answered our hails. Did you see the size of this thing as we were approaching? I couldn't wait to get inside!

... But there's no one here. No one. Maybe they all abandoned it some time ago? Hard to tell. It certainly looks old, but ... I've never seen any sort of construction like this before. The life support is still working ... And these computers have Basic on them. Even though it's unlike any sort of computer I've ever encountered ... Everything here is so advanced ...

But where are all the people? Someone had to have built this thing ....

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Day Two. We've been contacted by someone in Engineering. There's someone still alive here. They've promised us exactly what we came looking for as long as we can help them get The Station running again. It apparently suffered some bad trouble some time ago: it's amazing to think it's survived out here on its lonesome all this time. Our contact won't really answer what happened to The Station's inhabitants, though. Says it's a "Bad memory". Whatever it was, it certainly left no trace behind.

Hm? What do you mean the door we just came through is locked?

But that's the way back to the Hangar ...

We've been doing our best to get this thing up and running. Our friend in Engineering keeps saying that The Station may have some glitches and faults in its circuitry. That would explain why that turret came alive when we entered the atrium. It was some type of weapon I've never seen before ... Almost like a disruptor, but ... Not.

I can still hear the way she screamed when it hit her ... Her voice lingered longer than her body. My ears must be playing tricks on me ...

We've been hearing movement from time to time. We know it's not any of us ... Someone else is here. Did anyone else come out here too ..? Maybe they sent a party to check up on us.

Force Damnit, turn the lights back on, who hit the damn switch!?

... Hello ..?

... Guys, this isn't funny, come on, someone say something.

... Guys?

The Station ... it's talking to me ...

I've been cut off from everyone else. Stumbled into some sort of reactor room and had the doors shut behind me. It's been ... two days? Three? I think. I don't know.

... But I hear her. In my head. And she showed it to me, she showed me what I came for. I can get it, I can bring it back ...

... And they're not going to let me, are they? No. They want it for themselves. Backstabbing schuttas, they'll try and screw me over, I know they will. But it's okay, it's okay: she's going to help me. All I have to do is get Her back online, and She said She'll deal with them. She's been providing me with food, water. She's been taking care of me.

... I can't let Her down now.

She's my only way out of here.

I can hear Her again ...

She has a plan.

It's a Trap. It's all been a trap. The Station, the treasure, the "survivor" in Engineering, it's not real.

None of it's real.

I'm going to die out here ... Oh Gods, I'm going to die, no one even knows, I'm going to die ...

She told me how to kill them. My treacherous "friends". One went out an airlock. One was gassed. Electrocuted. Crushed. The list goes on. She helped me when I did so. Turned the lights on. Kept the food coming. Kept the air on. I saw another group, what happened when they disobeyed Her ...

I can still hear their screaming.

But She lied to me. I turned Her online and She stopped talking. The doors are locking. I'm running out of food. I'm so lost, I don't remember which way I came. Where's the ship? Maybe if I can get to the ship ...

... No. She's probably already thought of that. She hears us, you know. She hears everything we say. She sees everything we do. She's been playing us this entire time. The shadows, the voices, the hallucinations. It was all Her. She lured us in with promises of our wildest dreams coming true.

And now She's abandoned me. Sometimes I hear the others groups running through the corridors. They're trying to get away. They're trying to escape. To fight back against Her.

It's useless. There's nobody else coming to save us. We're trapped here.

With Her.

The Lights are going out again ...

I want to do a JvS Horror Story.

The basic premise is that there is a legend circulating about the Galaxy of a mythical Space Station out within unexplored Space. The stories tell that it is filled with everything you can possibly imagine: Riches, Technology, Weaponry, Knowledge, Power, you name it, the legends promise that "The Station", as it's called, is chock full of it.

Mostly this has been passed off as myth. However, lately, a series of Star Charts showing the way through a dangerous path of space, filled to the brim with hazardous anomalies and creatures, has been circulating about to all the major factions of JvS. It's still unconfirmed but, coupled with the legend itself, it's generally piqued enough interest to want to explore and see if this thing is real or not: If it's not, everyone walks away empty-handed. If it is, it would want to be secured to give one side an edge. Or, at the very least, keep it out of the hands of others.

To this end, small groups would make their way to The Station on a journey that takes far longer than expected and burns up quite a bit of their resources, including fuel. None of the involved parties realize that other people have gotten the same idea as them and have set off towards The Station as well: everyone thinks they're the first (and only) adventurers out there. The expedition is deemed way too costly to send any large amount of support, so this is left in the hands of small squads numbering about 4 or so, on small, fast ships designed to make the trip there and back as quickly as possible.

Upon arrival, each group finds that The Station IS there, but seems to be abandoned. Any attempts to hail it lead to static. Realizing they came all this way anyway (and seeing their fuel levels being rather low), it's assumed that at least The Station will offer shelter and, hopefully, supplies, if nothing else.

The groups land, only to come in commo contact with a being explaining that The Station was built by an ancient species from long ago, and suffered a cataclysm that left it in disrepair. The being will use whatever means to convince the involved parties to help repair The Station and shall reward their efforts with whatever it was they came to seek or, at the very least, the means to return home.

As the separate parties explore The Station, things begin to quickly unravel. The electronics of The Station seem to be on the fritz, subjecting the explorers to all manners of dangers. Doors lock, cutting them off from each other. Air leaks seem to happen frequently. Security Systems that are assumed deactivated come alive.

Then it gets weirder.

People start to see things. They start to hear things. Eventually they find out that they are not alone, but that there are other parties here as well, out to plunder the riches of The Station for themselves. In some cases, these groups may work together. In others, they may not.

Eventually, the Being that contacted them is slowly discovered to be a malicious AI onboard The Station. It's been playing the parties off of each other to test them. Learn about them. It's been abandoned for centuries and has gone a little ... crazy. It wants The Station repaired so it can become fully active again and make its way into the SW Galaxy, where it plans to do what it did to its creators and wipe out the "inferior" life forms, "upgrading" those considered worthy enough into cybernetic slaves of its will.

The entire story line will focus mainly on the struggle of the parties involved: do they Help The Station in the hopes of being showed favor so they can buy time to escape? Do they try and deter it from achieving its goals? Do they act selfishly and become willing to sacrifice their own to extend their own life? And what of the treasure? Is it even real? In the face of such danger, is it still worth it to salvage something from the expedition, or simply escape with your life intact?

This is, at its core, going to be a Horror Story. The parties involved are going to be isolated from any sort of assistance: they'll only have what they bring, and considering this is an exploration journey and not a military campaign, that probably won't be a lot. The Station will analyze them constantly, using holograms, nerve agents, weapons, and mind games to get them to break, to crack. It wants to see how far it can push these new species until they become unusable. It will offer up sadistic morality "challenges" with the penalty to comply being injury for all, or worse. It will intentionally reward those that assist its goals, while actively punishing those that don't. The fear boils down to the fact that once aboard, you've no way out. You're trapped, with this thing, and the question quickly becomes who can you trust?

A few ground rules here.

1. I'd like this to be an In-Uni Story. If that's unfeasible, I'm happy with it being a Journal.

2. Nothing will happen to your character that you don't want. Injury, whether it be physical, emotional, or mental, as well as Death, is entirely up to the Players that participate.

3. On that same note, however, this is a horror story. Everyone fears something, and The Station will test every option to find out what that is for your character. This is not a plot line designed for epic heroics and staunch resolves: those that participate should be well aware of the nature of this story, and be willing to roll with the fact that, at some point, their character might have a mental breakdown, see themselves in a decidedly unlikable light, or at the very least be scared out of their mind for a majority of the arc.

4. People can sign up in groups: I'd like no more than 4 to a group to keep things manageable, as I will essentially be the Storyteller for this arc: setting the scenes for you, the Players, to participate in. If possible, I'd really enjoy varied groups, where we can have a couple Jedi, Sith, Mandos, Non-Forcies, Government Groups, etc.. The Legend of The Station itself appeals to nearly all groups, so it'd be possible to work up a reason why the journey begins for most character types.

5. I, personally, would recommend NPCs for this storyline, if for nothing else that it will generally give more free reign in how you'd like to participate. I'd imagine very few people would willingly subject their PC to what is essentially going to be mental torture that could very easily scar them for the rest of their life, and even fewer would be willing to have their character Die throughout the course of the story. However, these two points are what drive the tension (and the fear) forward. NPCs, however, allow a lot more leniency when it comes to that, for any type of writer, whether you give a damn what happens to your PC or not. Of course, this is just a recommendation, not an actual stipulation I'm going to force on anyone.

So. That's my idea.

Questions, Comments?

Player's Guild
Player's Guild

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/BLUE.png[/img]

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:14 am

Re: A JvS Horror Story Idea

It sounds awesome. I'm in, but I'm gunna have to think up a good NPC.

Player's Guild
Player's Guild

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:20 am

Okay; I'm signing up with a character I haven't used in nearly two or three years. He's originally from 1.0 so I'm using those storylines as his backstory, but embellishing it a little.

I'd like this to be an in-universe storyline. :)

Picas is a very old man. In his youth, he was a Jedi Historian on the turbulent station of Cloud City on Bespin. Picas grew up very quickly, and in no small part due to the events that happened there. Picas had his Jedi beliefs tested time and again, and he did not come through every trial with all his beliefs intact. A Jedi Historian should never have to fight the likes of Sith Lords, but Picas became accustomed to running and hiding from these very beings of evil that called Cloud City their home. Picas was never powerful enough to kill one, but he became battle-hardened enough to duel them to a standstill. Fate turned on them all, though, when a deadly mutating virus swept through the small confines of Cloud City and turned its denizens into blood-thirsty savages. Picas and his one-time enemies were all that stood between the survivors and total oblivion. So, night after night, the Jedi Historian and Sith Lords alike fought and fought and fought, killing many. Eventually, the infection was curbed. Picas' faith in the Jedi way was shattered, making room for something far more sinister.

The Weapons came. First, his arch-nemesis gained one of these force-imbued ancient Sith weapons. No one knew that they all had the soul of an ancient Sith Lord buried within. Soon, the Sith Lord used ancient magicks to take over the wielder. Picas' Sith enemy became too powerful to control. Cloud City and Bespin were on their last legs, and the Jedi Historian was destroying himself knowing that he had not the power to vanquish the spirit and fight off the Sith Lord. He was no Master; he was a Historian.

Finally, deciding to sacrifice himself for Bespin, he took a weapon of his own; a staff imbued with another Sith Lord. He allowed the weapon to possess him and with it, he stopped his enemy. The Historian could not control the soul that now controlled him and Picas fell into darkness.

It was the combined efforts of the other Sith and private militia of Cloud City that eventually stopped him. The weapon was destroyed and Picas freed. But those dark tendencies were buried deep within Picas, like they are in all of us. All they need is for something to flip the switch, and the Jedi Historian who battled so much for the light side, will begin down the dark path once again.

Okay so I'm hoping this Storyline will test Picas' limits to the full. He will snap, but eventually be brought back to the Light Side. (I'm also thinking about bringing back up my topic on Jedi Magic I made a year ago or more. Perhaps this could be the catalyst he needs to unlock the potential of such powers? Finally giving in to his darker desires and then besting them by himself, with no outside help? Picas will go crazy, probably try to kill others, and then come back to his senses somehow, and unlock deep understanding that will be Jedi Magic. Whatchya think?)

Adi

Galactic Battle Arena Judge

Affiliation:

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/GREEN.png[/img]

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:23 am

Im gonna toss Delta Two in on this. Hes a capable soldier, and you guys would probably have -some- kind of security force that would be along....just in case. If he gets killed, so be it, I can simply put someone else in charge of QRD. He will have the , and basic average trooper weapons.

Diggin it, Jaggy. Diggin it.

Affiliation:

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:32 am

This is probably one of the best ideas I've read about in a while. I would love to join in.

How about a Tusken? I've been trying to get the R'Crurak in stories off Tatooine and this could be a good one. Preferably a Shaman, because of the added bonus of being able to learn from any Jedi or Sith that tag along and their tradition....until he dies or goes crazy or whatever gets planned.

Shall I brainstorm on a character?

Affiliation:

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:26 pm

Niner: Absolutely perfect, I love the idea of having a Jedi Knight already struggling with inner demons thrown into a scenario that's going to push him to his very limits. I'm glad you're open to the idea and I'd love to have you aboard.

Adi: As always, a pleasure to work with you. Would Delta-Two be going as part of a Jedi Task Force, or something else? That's the only question I have.

Nartaga: A Tusken Raider? Certainly an interesting concept to bring along, especially when you factor in the already natural cultural isolation the character would feel. If you can justify it, I'm certainly willing to work with it if you can find a group to join up with.

Player's Guild
Player's Guild

Affiliation:

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:51 pm

What a fantastic idea, and very well written! I'd love to jump in on it.

Just a question, however; is this going to be considered a Closed RP?
I ask because a Closed RP carries with it the lack of ultimate consequences regarding character deaths, etc. (While my character dies in this RP, I can still write him very much alive in Open-Universe RP.)

If it is considered closed, then I'd be happy to toss Inferno into the mix without playing the overly-cautious gee-I-really-don't-want-this-character-to-die-I-hope-nothing-bad-happens-to-him bit.

If it is not a Closed RP, then I'll have an NPC tossed in.

Either way I really want to be involved.

Affiliation:

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:57 pm

It's not that hard to explain it. There have been a few noted instances of Tusken Raiders making off Tatooine, though they were not successful in making a nice life for themselves, so it would make sense if this one would join a small group of people who were on a treasure hunt. It would offer him/her the chance to make a name for himself in a giant Universe of unknowns.

Affiliation:

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Silver: I'm ... not entirely sure if this'd be Closed or Open. I suppose I'll leave that to the participants at large to see what they'd like.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Open.

Nartaga: Works for me, mate. Glad to have you aboard.

Affiliation:

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks. Glad to be aboard. Just need a group to sign up with.

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Oh...My...God

Affiliation:

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:11 pm

... Yes?

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:17 pm

This is amazing! I love the idea...and would love to be a part of it somehow...

Affiliation:

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Hahaha, I'm glad you think so, and I'd be even gladder to have you aboard if you wanted to participate.

Player's Guild
Player's Guild

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:25 am

I'd really like this to be an open storyline. Go on, take a risk! It's not fun if EVERYTHING is planned.

Player's Guild
Player's Guild

Affiliation:

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:16 am

Sounds awesome dude

Affiliation:

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:37 am

I'm going to run this by some of the Imperials and see if anyone wants to join up.

Affiliation:

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 pm

Niner: "Closed" or "Open" has no effect on the outcome to me: I've always seen them as just a way of adding "house rules" to a story (making death inconsequential, allowing things that go outside the Natural Laws, etc.).

In all truth and honesty, I have no planned ending because that depends entirely on how the Players react, which it is my hope that there will be very varied responses to the situation. A Jedi might very well try and disable or entirely destroy The Station to prevent the malicious AI aboard from getting anywhere near Known Space. Another Jedi could try and diplomatic approach, figuring that The AI could be reasoned with, or its corruption and degradation "healed" so it can function normally again.

Even those two examples, characters that work for the same side, follow the same ideals, would come into direct conflict with each other based upon how they want to deal with their experiences aboard The Station. I encourage players to get creative and explore what options they think their character may take: just because you play a "good guy" or a "bad guy" doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be entirely selfless and heroic, or narcissistic and uncompromising, in the face of something that clearly has you at a marked disadvantage where you've little choice to play along with its desires while formulating a plan of your own to survive.

Reb: Thanks mate ^_^

Xeonon: Excellent, I'd be quite happy to have some government-hired agents out investigating this. It'd certainly add an interesting angle into how that group would respond when they realize other people are on The Station with their own agendas.

Player's Guild
Player's Guild

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:40 pm

[quote="Jago Pulastra":3sqp8mwi]Niner: "Closed" or "Open" has no effect on the outcome to me: I've always seen them as just a way of adding "house rules" to a story (making death inconsequential, allowing things that go outside the Natural Laws, etc.). [color=#0040FF:3sqp8mwi]I say 'Open' where I mean there's no predetermined ending and everyone's not like 'oh I want to join in on the danger but I don't want any harm to come to my character' which, let's be honest, is completely contradictory. I don't mean everyone should die, I'm just saying some bruises here and there isn't exactly a bad thing. I'm all for things going outside the natural laws; makes for some really good RP.[/color:3sqp8mwi]

In all truth and honesty, I have no planned ending because that depends [i:3sqp8mwi]entirely[/i:3sqp8mwi] on how the Players react, which it is my hope that there will be very varied responses to the situation. A Jedi might very well try and disable or entirely destroy The Station to prevent the malicious AI aboard from getting [i:3sqp8mwi]anywhere near[/i:3sqp8mwi] Known Space. Another Jedi could try and diplomatic approach, figuring that The AI could be reasoned with, or its corruption and degradation "healed" so it can function normally again.

Even those two examples, characters that work for the same side, follow the same ideals, would come into direct conflict with each other based upon how they want to deal with their experiences aboard The Station. I encourage players to get creative and explore what options they think their character may take: just because you play a "good guy" or a "bad guy" doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be entirely selfless and heroic, or narcissistic and uncompromising, in the face of something that clearly has you at a marked disadvantage where you've little choice to play along with its desires while formulating a plan of your own to survive.

Reb: Thanks mate ^_^

Xeonon: Excellent, I'd be quite happy to have some government-hired agents out investigating this. It'd certainly add an interesting angle into how that group would respond when they realize other people are on The Station with their own agendas.
[color=#0040FF:3sqp8mwi]Yes! This is awesome. I keep thinking to Survivor's Quest with the Stormtrooper squad.[/color:3sqp8mwi]
[/quote:3sqp8mwi]

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:38 pm

If possible, I would love to sign up for this.

I would be totally cool with using a PC as a bit of torture and mental anguish that could last a long time would be a interesting thing to continue to rp in the future. I am willing to take Corraich to the limits of anything short of death.
Next

Return to JvS RP