Information: The new forums are now open: http://boards.jedivsith.com. We've disabled all posting here on the old forum, but you can view everything.

OOC RP Planning and Dispute Resolution

Affiliation:

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/GREEN.png[/img]

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:10 am

Re: IC disputes settled OOC

Man, your good Matango. Glad I don't have to worry about an OOC street fight breaking out. lol

Player's Guild
Player's Guild

Affiliation:

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/BLUE.png[/img]

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:36 pm

OOC: I appologise as well Daeron we both acted childish over something as stupid as an RP we do on our spare time for fun, we are all friends here and yet we acted as such. I agree to what was stated and I just want to say that the fleets jumping everywhere was what I was going to do right when I launched an evac it wasn't out of the blue, I knew to do that from the beginning to avoid being tracked and try and mess you up lol. Let us leave the past behind us and continue the story shall we.*

Adi

Galactic Battle Arena Judge
Galactic Battle Arena Judge

Affiliation:

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:45 pm

Guys, thank you. Appreciate your willingness to work together and get it fixed up here. If you need me, Im around most of the time. Or, you can catch me on MSN.

bjnkt@live.com

Again, thanks guys, I do appreciate it. Have at it!! Play...*nice*...and I say that with ALL intended humor.

*Walks away, mumbling something incoherantly funny....*

Retired High Councilor
Retired High Councilor

Affiliation:

Traffic Light: [img]http://www.jedivsith.com/images/PURPLE.png[/img]

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:50 pm

It all looks good to me. Also, I do want to note that they did not call for a Councilor; I happened to be here when things went south. I'm pleased that this all worked out.

Affiliation:

Post Sat May 02, 2009 9:37 pm

Ok Ronin I was doing some research and you should have been dead along time ago. Lightsabers cannot block projectiles. Which is what my JAR shoots. And you blocked an entire spreadshot? that is almost impossible. So therefor you should be dead but I will continue to duel you but let that information be known.

Post Sat May 02, 2009 9:39 pm

OOC: Thats true ronin, u are going to have to come up with a different block, without this going to more deliberation if jaccien will keep on going, ur going to need to come up with a more creative way to block/avoid the JAR rounds..*

Affiliation:

Post Sat May 02, 2009 9:43 pm

Oh it's possible to block projectiles... you just have to increase your focus to be able to sense the near-invisible rounds... after all, they're slower than blaster bolts... the only hurdle to deflecting them is that they're also much smaller and not glowing, but that by no means makes deflection of them impossible

Affiliation:

Post Sat May 02, 2009 9:58 pm

but he also blocked a whole spreadshot at one time.... pointblank range...

Affiliation:

Post Sat May 02, 2009 10:04 pm

Well, a skilled Force user could in theory use Precognition to anticipate the spreadshot and then Force Speed to move the blade fast enough to deflect each shot... though if I was in his position I'd just use Precognition to know when to stab the kriff in the chest ^_^ much easier than trying to block a spreadshot

Affiliation:

Post Sat May 02, 2009 10:10 pm

I would debate that he could block all of them at once with a lightsaber as each projectile would come at a different time, but if he a lightshield he could do it, but he sadly doesn't, but he would have a better chance if it wasn't point blank...

Affiliation:

Post Sat May 02, 2009 10:12 pm

but he did no post any of that stuff.... he just [quote:1f2y0k24]Ronin blocks the shotgun blasst[/quote:1f2y0k24]

Affiliation:

Post Sat May 02, 2009 10:15 pm

Then I would call total BS on that Jaccien... that's just horrible dueling for one part and for the second that's just bad writing. You can't just say you block or attack or dodge, you have to explain how you do it.

Affiliation:

Post Sat May 02, 2009 10:16 pm

And the spreadshot would be coming at him at the same time.

Affiliation:

Post Sat May 02, 2009 10:18 pm

To even think about dueling requires a great competence in grammar and a fairly good grasp on realism. You have to know when to take damage, and above all be WILLING to take damage. Let├óÔé¼Ôäós start with the basics. You need a good beginning, such as stretching and warming up because due to realism you could pull something during the fight and leave yourself vulnerable. If you don├óÔé¼Ôäót have the luxury start slow and speed up. Remember to set the pace and not follow it. In RP dueling we call it controlling the fight. To control the fight one must make it look easy if there is a such thing. Offensive, defensive, or neutral styles do not matter, just keep your opponent guessing.
You need a certain way with words to describe how you are doing what you do. Such as if you do a flip specify which direction, and sometimes even how high or low depending on the circumstances. Same goes for attacking. Let your opponent know if it├óÔé¼Ôäós your right arm of left. If you don├óÔé¼Ôäót they have the opportunity to decide for you which way you attacked. You need to make clear moves, specify what you├óÔé¼Ôäóre attacking with and what you├óÔé¼Ôäóre attacking.
You have to be able to comprehend your opponent├óÔé¼Ôäós moves as well, try and predict what they will do next, but NEVER, and when I say never I mean never use a cheap power like precognition. That├óÔé¼Ôäós a rookie mistake which will make your opponent beat the crap out of you. Use combos to make your opponent lose track. That way they have to block all of it and counter it as well. Trap them between a rock and a hard place. Make it so they have to take some sort of damage be it minor or major.
Now to force usage. If you try to use so many powers at a time that aren├óÔé¼Ôäót related (such as crush and throw are related because they are forms of telekinesis) then that├óÔé¼Ôäós one of the things we call Power Gaming (PG). Same with unlimited force usage and not getting tired. That├óÔé¼Ôäós BAD. Stay realistic, use realistic time intervals. Nobody can do a quadruple back flip corkscrew while sending a force storm and crush at a person, impossible. Realism is key in dueling, and Rping in general.
Keep the flow of battle. Don├óÔé¼Ôäót clutter it up with Out Of Character (OOC) let it run smoothly. If you have a problem with a move just Personal Message (PM) your opponent with your inquiry.

-- Dason

1) First, is a first person fight, so you will be decribing your movements only, not your opponents.
2) You can't call a hit.
3) You can't call damage on your opponent.
4) Take into account the descriptions of your opponents attacks, such as speed and distance.
5) Take into account how much force power you are using to determine level of fatigue of the character.
6) Be Logical
7) Be realistical
8) Be specific in what you are doing, and in what you expect your opponent to feel or do (this does not mean it will happen, just that you are expecting to happen).
9) Create a situation whereby your opponent must choose between a greater or lesser wound.
10) Know when to be very specific, somewhat specific, or ambiguous, depending on your strategy, and your opponent, who you must learn to read.
11) If your opponent is not specific use it in your favor.
12) Know your powers and how they work, in a correct way, and its weaknesses and limitations.
13) Know your combat style, strengths and limitations.
14) Never let an opponent a move without you doing something to help you protect, prevent or just make your opponent think in his next attack, unless is imposible or not benefitial to do so.
15) One post per person.
16) Use OOC discussion when necessary such as to clarify or have your opponent clarify a post.
17) Learn to take hits, as they are a fundamental part of a good duel, specially when you are suppose to.

---Apollyon

Take control in the beginning of the fight, mostly to gauge how your opponent reacts, and when you see their skill level compared to your own, act accordingly, because nothing is more annoying then a bad RP trying to act like a G.

Also, even though me and Inky argued about it lol, in a fight people should never just go offense or just defense or whatever... RPs should do their best to take turns attacking and defending, because characters get separated and then one must come forward. Even the most basic RPs know the defender has the advantage in those situations, so if it's possible, try to keep it fairly even.. doesn't have to be exactly even steven, but it's good if it's close.

NEVER GO INTO A BATTLE ASSUMING YOU'RE GOING TO WIN! If you 'know' you're going to win.. it'll usually lead to PGing unless you're a highly experienced player with some control, and even then it's very tempting, and hard to avoid.

(I don't always follow this rule, but most of the time I do, the only time I don't is in fights against people like Phillios or comparable caliber lol)

Don't rack up with armor.. if you're going to wear armor, don't wear it to cover the entirety of limbs (unless it's like one) and try to avoid wearing light-saber or just, melee weapon-proof chest armor covering your vitals... it's just boring. It's rude, and it's lame. You look like a puss when you do. Try to even it out. I wear two gauntlets, thats it. Inky for a while covered an entire arm/shoulder with armor, but nothing else.. so the torso and everything else was exposed. Full suits of armor are weaksauce.. and if you win with it there will always be people going (if he didn't have this and this he would've lost horribly).. so try not to rely on your equipment too much. Either keep it simple, or switch up your gear a lot (which is fun, keeps things interesting) so that you never build a reliance on one thing, and you figure out what you like best.

To quote Apollyon:

6) Be Logical
7) Be realistical---> (You can't concentrate so hard as being able to friggen juggle a bunch of unrelated powers.. sometimes even related powers. Such as cloaking, concealing, projecting an illusion, and using Force Speed. It's nuts. Don't do it. You won't be respected._

lol that had me cracking up. But it's true. Remember that physics still apply in the game, the only time it changes is when the Force is involved, and even then you have to factor in /how/ it changes the physics of everything. Always remember the position of characters, fallen weapons, and the like. If you're fighting in the mountains, it's likely there'll be rocks around for you to bounce off of or throw at your opponent, however that doesn't mean you can spawn things to make your character have a disadvantage, because their character wouldn't do anything to put themselves in that position in the first place in all likelihood (I'm looking at YOU Val!) Know all your powers and how they work, use wookipedia frequently, it's your bible. Know the scripture! So to speak.. The more you play by the rules, the better defended you are.. because it means you won't lose on a PG technicality or something. Best way to play is to play pure. Remember that even though the game is played post-by-post, the action is live-time for your characters, so every post is on average about 6 seconds of battle for your char, and in that you can spell out your intent, but when the other RP counters, if you offer a hole in your strategy, he can insert his move there to try and ruin yours so that he won't get into that situation towards the end of your post where you are likely to plant your saber in their chest.. thats how the game works. Because it's live for the characters like that, they can adjust... not so much where their previous positioning is completely gone, only what's relevant to your opponent's last post. Positioning remains the same as wherever they insert their move to beat your post.

"Pyros came forward with a strong. two-handed horizontal slash from right to left (Pyros' right to left), following it through, and bringing his left hand off the grip to bring it around in a quick, serpent-like strike at Iniquitous' upper left thigh, following it up with a hard push-kick aimed at his chest."

Response:

"Iniquitous came forward into Pyros' attack, seeing him wind up for a hard horizontal strike. Now more to the inside of the strike, he barred the horizontal strike with his own saber held in his left hand, using the superior mechanical strength of the arm to keep Pyros' saber at bay, the block synonymous with a step inward and a strong right uppercut aimed at Pyros' jaw"

See? So right there Pyros was in the position of a two-handed wind up when Iniquitous came forward and ruined the rest of the post.. Pyros never got a chance to execute the second "serpent-like" strike or the push-kick. Thats how it works. There are a number of ways Pyros could go to ruin Iniquitous' move, such as shutting his saber off to bypass Iniquitous' saber, and reigniting it when aligning it with Iniquitous' shoulder, tilting his head as the strike grazes his temple. Iniquitous is likely not to follow through too much with the punch, so thats why it's more of a graze, and to respond he could say being a master of trakata himself he recognizes the attack and simply turns his body so that the saber glances off his metal arm.

And so on and so on..

NEVER ASSUME OR STATE HOW MUCH STRONGER OR FASTER YOUR CHARACTER IS THEN THE OTHER!

You can assert, or imply it... but never declare it as a fact, because you don't know if they emphasized those skills or attributes themselves. Example..

"Being that Pyros was a high master of telekinesis, and it was his best power, he easily lifted blah blah boulder with minimal effort to blah blah shoot it at X's head."

or whatever.. or perhaps..

"Dredg threw a heavy right hook with all the might he could muster, and being that he was a 297 year old Feeorin (a species who has a unique metabolism that makes them stronger with age), it was enough to knock out the average man with relative ease."

In both instances there was no comparison to X (the other character), only the reference to previously RPd situations/powers/whatnot, or facts regarding your char or his heritage or whatever.. the fact that the comparison in the second one was to an average man is an optimum post, because it gives the other RP something to compare THEIR character to.. how close they are to an 'average man' in terms of pain threshold etc etc.. you have to expect them to be honorable, and they won't always be, but thats part of the game: "collaborative RP"

So trust your fellow RP. If they're not being too cooperative, then continue to roll with the flow, even if they're PGing, and just discuss or critique out of character, but do not disrespect them by ceasing the fight all together unless their post violates the basic three-strike rule, or if it's just such a massive blatant display of GMing/PGing that it merits such a response.

---Pyros

Affiliation:

Post Sat May 02, 2009 10:18 pm

Read that, I'm told it helps.

Affiliation:

Post Sat May 02, 2009 10:28 pm

Ahh... well as the saying goes, "...if it's not written down, it doesn't happen..."... so on that note I'd say that he couldn't deflect all the projectiles... he might be able to deflect some, but not every single round... if he'd thought more about it he could've said that he blocks all the ones that were flying at him, and those that he couldn't reach would be the ones that were on the outside of the spread, therefore flying passed him... that would've been an acceptable defense, assuming he also included some level of Precognition and/or Force Speed

Player's Guild
Player's Guild

Affiliation:

Post Sun May 03, 2009 9:08 am

OOC: I just forgot to post force speed but I meant to say that that is my fault, but anyway the point that makes my moves ok is the fact that somehow, while you were crouched, I was behind you you don't have force speed so how did you turn around so fast and shoot me if I was at your back. I said I blocked it cus what you did is impossible, a saber is swinging at your back I am behind you yet you have the time to turn around and shoot, doubt it lol. But anyway if it were possible you didn't aim so your shot would not be perfect and therefore the spread would not all be focused on me and so I would only have a few shots to block, easy. It was really you that GMed by saying you had the time in a second to turn around while crouched aim and fire at me while a saber was coming down on your back.*

Affiliation:

Post Sun May 03, 2009 12:37 pm

Ok that was a mistake on writing on my part.... but the fact that the spread shots are exactly what the word says SPREAD shots. That means 1 bullet spreads into several smaller ones. Meaning that all the smaller ones would be coming at you at the same time.

And about my JAR, they have metal projectiles, which are extremely hard to block with a saber. Unless you have extreme concentration.

Affiliation:

Post Sun May 03, 2009 1:08 pm

In theory, metal projectiles can be blocked by a lightsaber. The concentrated energy beam of a lightsaber would basically burn the projectile into nothing. Its a step up from lasers, which can be deflected back and harm the shooter.

Affiliation:

Post Sun May 03, 2009 1:57 pm

I realize that... but they are smaller, and hard to see so you would to have extreme concentration
PreviousNext

Return to Abraxin